Founded in 1896, the Oswego County Historical Society has preserved and promoted the history of the greater Oswego area for more than 100 years.

In 1946, the historical society received a generous gift of a historic 19th century Italian Villa to serve as the permanent head quarters for a public museum.

Listed on the National Register of Historical Places, the Richardson-Bates House offers a unique glimpse of the lifestyle of a wealthy and  prominent Oswego family, as well as a museum dedicated to interpreting the history of the people and places in Oswego County through exhibits and educational programs.

Please visit to learn more!

  • Museum


  • The Richardson-Bates House was built in two stages as a private residence for Maxwell Richardson, a local attorney, real estate broker and two-term mayor of Oswego. In 1867, Max commissioned Rochester architect Andrew Jackson Warner to design the Tuscan Villa style residence for him and his family. The opulent interior decor reflects the 19th century Victorian fascination with art, culture, education and history.

    Read More

  • Admission


    • Adults – $8.00


    • Students & Seniors – $5.00


    • Children (6 – 12) – $3.00

    • Children Under 6 – Free


    • OCHS Members – Free


    • Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult

  • Video


Walking Tour of the Montcalm Park Historic District


Justin White, Oswego County Historian, will lead a walking tour of the Montcalm Park Historic District on Sunday Sept 15 at 1:30pm. Starting at the NW corner of West 6th and Seneca Street in the City of Oswego, this walking lecture will include architecture, architects, historic significance, family histories of builders and occupants, and lots of interesting tidbits of Oswego history.

The Montcalm Park Historic District was listed on the national Register of Historic Places in 2001. The centerpiece of the Montcalm Park Historic District is Montcalm Park. The two-acre triangular park, while present in the nineteenth century, was landscaped and formally dedicated in 1913. The park features elliptical and circular concrete walkways, ornamental trees and plantings (many of which are more than fifty years old) and a wrought iron perimeter fence. A small portion of the park is separated by West Van Buren Street and features a large boulder with an elliptical bronze plaque. The plaque marks and commemorates the approximate site of Fort George, a British earthwork built in 1755 to support Fort Oswego.

Prominent historic homes in the district date from the 1840’s to the early 20th century.

Rain or shine.

No charge.

Contact the Richardson-Bates House Museum for more information at 315-343-1342 or by email at ochs@rbhousemuseum.org.

The Museum on Facebook